Oh, Micky, You're So Fine

Last night was my third, and possibly last, time seeing Micky Dolenz in concert. I was at Mohegan Sun for The Monkees Farewell Tour/The Mike and Micky Show. 

I've been a huge Micky fan since I was about five. I grew up watching The Monkees reruns on Nick at Nite, read Micky Dolenz biography, and often wore a Monkees shirt as a kid. Now, as an adult with a house, I have my stash of vintage Monkees magazines and autographed Micky Dolenz drumsticks. 

In my mind, The Monkees are all alive and perpetually 20 somethings. They're all together, making us laugh and up to crazy/hippie/60s/boy band shenanigans. But, that is not reality and that is okay. 

Micky and Mike are the last surviving members and both are in their late 70s. They seem grateful, seasoned, and remain playful. Mickys voice, miraculously, still sounds the same and it provides deep comfort, a voice I've counted on for 30 years. Mike has lost some of his Texas twang, but made up for it with his adorable, grandpa-like antics. 

The show was adorable, two old friends who've know each other for 55 years. They've been on TV, in movies, sold albums, written books, toured the world...and the public/performance part is ending. Crazy.

I was lucky enough to enjoy 31 songs, some jokes, and some stories, from artists I've been listening to for most of my life. It was a lovely send off to two people who've been with me for 30 years.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CAEB

Another One

It Doesn't Pay to be Polite