Dawn

I am so stoked about all the Dawn changes that have been made! I adore that she's Latina and I think having her dad be gay made her story so much more interesting! I am so here for all the representation. 

Getting right into it, the way Dawn casually mentioned *SPOILER* that she's pansexual and the kind way that Mary-Anne was nothing but supportive was probably my favorite moment in the entire series. Wow. I pride myself on having a cold, dead, heart but this ice queen melted. Well done, BSC! I hope anyone who comes out has as good of an experience as Dawn did. That's how coming out stories should go, love and acceptance. Amazing.

I also think the changes they made to Dawn's mom, Sharon have been great. She almost seemed a little too 'scatterbrained' in the books to function, and the series makes her seem more realistic and less like an over the top character. It's trance sort of strange how they got rid of Jeff altogether but I get it, if you only have 10 episodes per season to cover 7 babysitters and their charges and parents, it makes sense that a decent amount of elements will get cut from the story.

What was really surprising to me is how seamless the transition of actors who play Dawn was. Dawn was played by Xochitl Gomez in season one and by Kyndra Sanchez is season two. Everything transitioned smoothly from season to season and I'm surprised at just how well it worked out. 

Two things about Dawn that could never be changed, in my opinion, is her California girl persona and her being a neat freak. Obviously, she's still the 'California casual' girl and this season we get to see her neat side. Dawn prides herself on keeping her house, and her room, especially clean and she gets quite annoyed when first her Mom, and then Mary-Anne, don't necessarily appreciate that. While Mary-Anne got most of the fallout from this, I kept thinking of Super Special #1, when Dawn and Kristy were sharing a cabin on the cruise. Intentional or not, this mega fan appreciated the callback.

Of all the character changes and updates, Dawn's have been my favorite. I especially enjoyed her interactions with Richard. They more or less got along in the books, but not the show they're much more friendly and mesh together well. 

This series has taken me back to my childhood in the best of ways and I've loved writing about it. Almost 30 full years and I'm still finding things to love about the BSC! 

Up next, Mallory. (I was a Mallory for a long time and that always made me mad. Anyway...)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CAEB

Another One

It Doesn't Pay to be Polite