When a quote...

Knocks you on your ass.

Makes you want to cry. 

Forces you to feel.


"Of course I have healed, because I was able to write it. The Story itself is the proof."


That is a quote by T Kira Madden, from her essay,  "Against Catharsis." I came across it in the latest issue of Writer's Digest and I've been thinking about it all day.

The first piece I wrote, almost ten years after earning my BA in Creative Writing, after ten years of not writing a thing, was my experience with mental and emotional abuse as a kid. When I finished it, I felt like maybe I was healed, or at least well on my way.

Three years later, I sit here trying to edit and shop my novel around. I have a good, enjoyable job. I feel like...I've got this. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CAEB

Another One

It Doesn't Pay to be Polite