Billy Joel

I've been listening to Billy since I was a fetus, literally. My dad has been playing Billy on cassette since the late 70's. I've never known a world without Billy playing in the background and thank God, because his music is everything. 

Last night at Fenway was my 10th time seeing Billy. I've seen him in NYC, Connecticut, and all over Massachusetts. It never gets old. His music just resonates with me on every level. He really is the entertainer. 

This past Tuesday and Wednesday were the first things I've done since February of 2020. It was strange and different but so fun and exciting. I had carefully planned out my itinerary, transportation, and outfit- Fenway gets cold at night and really windy. After all my careful plans, I was ready to do something that didn't involve my couch. 

What I never planned for was the constantly changing weather of New England. When I opened my phone yesterday morning and saw, "flash flood warning: Boston" on my phone screen, I was less than amused. 

After some sightseeing in Boston, and grabbing a very large poncho at CVS, I headed back into Fenway. About five minutes after taking my seat, the rain started and I pulled my big blue plastic coat. It helped keep me a little dry, but did nothing to keep my glasses from getting wet and fogging.

Regardless of the weather, I was in my favorite city, in my favorite historical place, seeing my favorite singer. Rain wouldn't spoil that. What helped was Billy having fun with it- singing the first verse of 'Singing in the Rain' early on in his set.

The show was classic Billy- all the hits, all the jokes, the turning piano, the shtick with the mic stand. We were even treated to Billy calling out an audience member- so that person could propose to their fiance- while Billy sang (one of my all time favorite songs) 'She's Always a Woman.' It was so sweet and he woman said 'yes.'

A somewhat new staple of Billy's shows is the solo where Mike DelGuidice sings Nessun Dorma. Oh my god, literal perfection, he has the voice of an angel.

Leaving the show was classic Fenway- fans packed like sardines and trying to exit quickly. That wasn't ideal, yet it was strangely comforting because that's just what happens when you leave Fenway Park, it never changes. 

After 17 months of doing nothing, it felt great to be out and about again, and I'm so, so, thankful and lucky to have seen my favorite band and my favorite singer back to back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CAEB

Another One

It Doesn't Pay to be Polite