Hanukkah

After taking a DNA test a couple of years ago, I found out I'm 4% Ashkenazi Jewish. I was surprised and proud; I had no idea I was Jewish! For as long as I can remember, I had been drawn to Jewish culture and traditions, so I thought it was pretty cool that I actually was part Jewish. 

Having never been to Temple and obviously never been mitzvahed, I wasn't sure what to make of my newly discovered heritage. It was great, but for lack of a better word, was I 'allowed' to celebrate this part of myself? I understand 4% isn't a lot, but regardless, it meant (means) a lot to me.

When I wrote my novel, I based the main character loosely on myself. As the story in my book approached the Hanukkah season, I felt my character would be in a similar situation, Jewish and proud, yet still unsure how to enjoy that part of her heritage. It was a perfect bridge to help me understand this part of myself. 

One of my favorite passages to write in the book was how part-Jewish Marla celebrates Hanukkah with her fully-Irish boyfriend, Billy. Marla could share what she did know about her culture, and Billy would encourage her endeavors. 

My Hanukkah wish is someday my book is published so people like me- those of us who are partially part of a culture, a people, a heritage, even if it's only a tiny amount, can read that scene and, well, feel seen.  

I often say my book is a love letter to science and reason and love itself, but it is also a love letter to those of us with lots of different backgrounds. As I tell the kids I nanny, differences make things fun!

Happy Hanukkah!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CAEB

Another One

It Doesn't Pay to be Polite