Simone -Total Queen- Biles

Mental health was not talked about when I was growing up Catholic(ish) in the '90's. (I am NOT Catholic now, and never identified as such, even when it was forced on me.) When I had my first panic attack at age five, I had no idea what the fuck was happening. I didn't have the words to explain what was happening. Until I was twenty-two, I suffered up to ten major panic attacks every day. 

Imagine spending almost two decades believing you're crazy, feeling constantly terrified, having trouble breathing, and having no explanation, information, or solace. Imagine being five and thinking that was just life- constantly panicking to the point of getting physically sick. 

I bring all this up to highlight what an utter inspiration Simone Biles is. The courage she had to muster to do what she did. If I had seen a young woman do something like that when I was a kid? Maybe I could've saved myself years of torment.

Simone, at the end of the day, is human. And I'm in awe that she knew her limits, recognized what needed to be done, then did it. I applaud her for being the brave hero that she is. 

No medal is worth your health- mental or otherwise. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CAEB

Another One

It Doesn't Pay to be Polite