It Doesn't Pay to be Polite


Years ago, I bought two tickets for my Dad and I to see his first Broadway play. It was non-musical and history based, right up his ally. 

After exploring New York City all day, we lined up at the small theaters side entrance. I was so excited! I mean, how could you not be, it's Broadway! 

As we waited in line, I told my Dad that we should silence and put away our phones, and stash our sunglasses, I have always been a stickler for proper theater etiquette. I put my regular glasses on, then placed my silenced phone and sunglasses into my tiny purse and zipped it up. My Dad and I started to chat. 

Seconds later, a yellow taxi pulled up and a tall man with a shoulder bag and sunglasses jumped out of the backseat, yelling his thanks as he closed the cab door and rushed onto the sidewalk. 

My mouth sprang open, my lower jaw dangerously close to hitting the pavement. 

The man dashed over to the theater door, accidentally bumped into my left shoulder, tilted his head in apology and sincerely said, 

     "Sorry!" Then waved one hand and called out to the whole line of eager theater goers, "HEY! ENJOY THE SHOW!"

It was Bryan Cranston. 

My cell phone had been put away. My Dad didn't have a camera. I had no proof of my brush with genius. However, I do have a kick-ass memory and Mr. Cranston was utterly fabulous as LBJ in 'All The Way.' In fact, he later won a Tony for his portrayal, and the production won the Tony for best play. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CAEB

Another One