Good enough?

I've always taught the kids I nanny/babysit that differences are okay. That prejudice is never okay. That racism is vile. But nowadays, I feel like I have to actively, at all times, be hyper-aware that they're getting the messages. Don't get me wrong- I'm not complaining, and I think these values should be taught at all times, regardless of what's happening. But I'm scared sometimes that I'm coming off, well, scared. I don't want kids to be colorblind like I was taught, and I want them to know that we can celebrate difference as a good thing. 

The seven-year-old I nanny is particularly intelligent and has asked about racism, among other things. We go there, we answer the tough questions about history, and I am desperate to make sure that this child, and all the others, never become intolerant bigots. 

"You know that ALL skin colors are beautiful, right!?" I practically scream.

"Yes," they answer, in a tone that suggests, 'Duh, why would anything else be true?'

"ALL people are equal, and you treat everyone nicely, right!?" I practically yell.

"Yes," they answer, in a tone that suggests, 'Well, obviously, lady.'

I hope that I approach this in the right way, and I hope all 'my' kids are truly getting the message. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CAEB

Another One

It Doesn't Pay to be Polite