Flash Fiction Prompt

It's 2 am, suddenly, you're waken up To see that an emergency broadcast has been added. The message simply states, "Run."



I pulled my Care Bears blanket over my head, my bedroom was freezing. I curled up in a ball, hoping to fall back asleep, but my bedroom door opened and the portable TV appeared in the doorway, sitting on my Mom's bar cart. 

The TV clicked on, making snowy static, then the words 'emergency broadcast' appeared on screen, followed by a neon orange background and the word 'Run,' in bold, black letters. 

"Artie, you little booger, it's two am! Put the TV away and go to bed! And close the door, it's cold!"

He didn't answer. The TV repeated the same pattern, static, neon, 'Run.'

"Ugh, really?" I muttered. "Artie, I swear to God, I'll go downstairs and wake Mom!"

No answer. 

I rubbed my eyes and and climbed out of bed, wondering why it was so cold. I threw on my bathrobe, shuffled past my Rob Lowe poster, and peered out of my room. The hallway was empty. 

"Seriously, Artie? What the hell! It's a school night!"

Silence.

"You're gonna get it in the morning!"

I reached out to push the TV aside. It wouldn't move. It turned off, then on, and orange letters appeared across the static-y screen, 'Run, NOW.'


TO BE CONTINUED.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CAEB

Another One

It Doesn't Pay to be Polite