Combat Boots

I've never grown out of my black combat boot phase. 

I loved them when I was 11 and buying my first pair at KMart, and the cashier laughed at them. 

I loved them when I was in high school, and Daria appeared in the TV lexicon, my cartoon twin sister in clothes, face, and demeanor. 

I loved them when I wore my sturdiest pair for nine days while exploring San Francisco. 

I love them now as I wear an old pair, comfy and formed to my feet. 

I don't know how or why I ever started to like these shoes in the first place. Is it that they're unfeminine? Manly? Gender norms about clothes (and really, any gender norm, FFS) are so stupid and outdated, so maybe it's been a matter of subconscious protest? Is it that basic black goes with everything and is also my favorite color? Perhaps it's the comfort factor or unique rebel style. But maybe it's that being a woman, a clumsy and unfeminine one, is a battle. Who's to say?

I love my big black combat boots. I think I always will.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CAEB

Another One

It Doesn't Pay to be Polite